Yesterday I had to make a trip to walmart on the way home from my 6 week checkup to drop off a prescription. Usually I go to Walgreens but seeing as the road to get there is closed for a year I had to change. I found a great parking spot...things seem to be going well. I go to the pharmacy and drop off my lil' piece of paper to a nice lady with a super crispy tan. "20 minutes" she claims. I decide to get some things (enough to delay my trip here for another month).
I walk over to the make-up aisle to pick up some mascara, on my way I stumble over a little leg. A little boy (probably 3) was just laying in aisle 3. His body was in the aisle by the shelf with his legs just sticking out in open. Luckily I didn't run over him with my cart. He did apologize and he let me know he was watching the rooftop for his mom until she came back (another reason I don't like walmart...there are always the craziest people).
While in the make up aisle choosing a mascara I hear, "Krista Bourne return to the pharmacy, Krista Bourne, Krista Bourne, Krista Bourne" could they say my name any more? I thought while my face turn red...oh yes they can 2 more times. OMG!! I walk back over, past the little boy who is in the exact same position looking at the same "roof top". I go to the counter and the crispy woman tells me she is out of the prescription and it won't be ready until tomorrow. Yay another trip to walmart.
I keep going with my shopping, my hubby was totally out of cereal that he likes (he will not eat special k which we are well stocked with) so I grab 2 boxes of his favorite stuff and keep going.
I was so relived to see a check out stand with just one person in front of me. Then it got even better! Another check out stand opened and the man waved me over...thank goodness! I just wanted to get out and get back to Cache. As I unpack my cart he comments:
"Looks like you're out of breakfast."
"Yeah."
"At least you have breakfast." he says in the most annoyed voice ever.
"Uh...yup."
Then he goes on to tell me about his breakfast woes. I am clutching my credit card ready to swipe and leave. When I did so the screen went to the zip code screen and started blinking. It was switching between the zip code and signature.
"It isn't letting me put the zip code in."
"go ahead and enter in your zip code."
I try to press the button and nothing.
"Go ahead and enter your zip code."
The man behind me with his bud light leaves making his annoyance and lack of time apparent.
"It will not let me, the screen is blinking."
"Go Ahead and..."
"Will you please just look at this."
Finally he comes out from behind his checkout stand and looks
"Oh ha, ha it looks like Christmas. "
First of all I had no idea what he meant, but later learned it was because of the blinking screen.
"Go ahead and punch in your zip code." He says AGAIN
Yes he WAS SERIOUS! Not only did he have to see that the machine wasn't working he had to see that entering in the zip code would not fix it.
FINALLY it started working and I was on my way.
When I reached my car I see a little girl looking just frantic.
"Where's the bird dad? Where'd he go? Is he okay?"
"I'm not sure it's okay lets go."
I could tell that this dad had had it with walmart as well.
"But I MUST FEED HIMMMM!"
"Okay"
As I unpacked my groceries I see the dad finish putting his stuff and grab a piece of bread, grab his daughter's hand and they go hunting for the bird. There are about 50 birds in the parking lot and they approached three but it wasn't the same bird.
"Lets feed this one. This is him." The dad says sweetly, you can tell he really wants to leave.
"That is not him. My bird is special." I could tell this little girl was having the time of her life. She had the biggest smile on her face and I think it would be safe to say she would remember this day for a long time.
I'm not sure what happened but bless that dad's heart. When Cache wants to play or do something like that after a long walmart trip (or anything else) I am going to step up. Kids grow up so stinkin fast, you have to cherish every moment. Even if it means chasing pigeons through a walmart parking lot.
What did I learn?
1.You can cherish your children, love them, help them to learn or you can leave them laying in an aisle at walmart.
2.You can choose to let an annoying experience get you down and annoyed or you can just let it go and chase pigeons. ;)
3.And who can forget this...be grateful for your breakfast.
way to go Krista, learning from annoying experiences is a great skill!
ReplyDelete